Management first became recognised as a “subject” in the late 1950’s, by one of the greatest thinkers of our time – Peter F. Drucker. Since then it has been taught in schools, colleges and Universities the world over. We have Professors of Management, Masters of Management, and actual managers who profess to know everything there is to know about management. But in the real World? The truth is unpalatable. Mismanagement continues to be the major source of company failures today. And in New Zealand company liquidations have increased by 69% in the past year. What is happening here?
What is happening is Real World Management is not being taught. We continue to be bombarded by on-line management courses, and some in person as well, that are simply failing. In the USA, where statistics are available, $60-80 Billion is spent annually towards leadership and management training. Yet only 20-30% of the skills learned during this training actually results in on the job changes.
At Think Differently we have been true to our name. We have thought differently about management training and are now able to offer a course that works, that has been the product of over 60 years of actual management experience, that uses the same principles that are at the very heart of the science of management, but we deliver it differently:
- Real World Management is designed for new and developing managers
- All training is at our offices. We continue to see the inability of on-line courses providing lasting behaviour change, and hence improvement
- Attendees learn almost as much from fellow attendees as they do from the course presenter, as the research shows
- Courses are delivered over a period of four weeks via 4 half-day sessions
- There is significant pre-course work that will need to be completed
- Every week assignments are set, and reviewed, which reflect real world situations around the course topics for each attendee
- Follow up after the completion of the course is individual and extensive